Thursday, March 07, 2013

Hammond Tone Generator - Part 3 - FInding the usable tonewheels

I have tested the outputs of the tone generator...there will be about 60 usable outputs. The other 31 outputs consist of the lower frequencies..the windings on the tonewheel cores include resistance wire which drops the levels significantly. I will have to further dismantle the TG to see if the resistance wire can be bypassed. I don't think that further dismantling is worth the potential of damaging the TG. I know that at least 2 or 3 of the tonewheels are stuck and will be looking at those to see if I can get them working. Fortunately, there appears to be a correlation between the color of the wire from the tonewheel and whether I am seeing usable output. For example, none of the red wires produce usable output. Most of the orange wires provide usable output. If I'm not getting output from an orange wire, something is probably stuck or broken. I have documented all the wire colors and whether I am seeing output. Next step is to recheck the outputs that should be working.

No comments: