Friday, November 18, 2011

Success : Auto update of Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10

Did the "click the button" update from Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10. Zero problems. I did have to ask Mr. Google how to get the old Gnome desktop back. This is the 2nd time I have done a hands off (mostly) Ubuntu upgrade...previously from 10.10 to 11.04. That upgrade was also flawless, but I did have to answer a few questions about keeping files that were to be replaced. I have been using Ubuntu as my primary desktop for the last 3 months, and have been very impressed. The biggest problem with using Ubuntu at NCSU is the problem with configuring the VPN. Which is totally a Cisco problem....their client assumes that Firefox is installed and tries to save the certificate in a .firefox directory. If that directory does not exist, the VPN client fails with a generic message. Why this dependency even exists is puzzling.

No comments: